Monday, January 10, 2011

Maria Sharapova Makes It Past the First Round In ASB Classic

Maria Sharapova
by rocor

Maria Sharapova Makes It Past the First Round In ASB Classic
Get all the latest tennis news from www.TennisNow.com   Maria Sharapova  began 2011 with a bang; the former No.1 was able to overcome  Alberta Brianti  of Italy, a last-minute opponent change, 6-2, 6-3.  Originally the Russian was set to play against Spain's  Carla Suarez Navarro  in her first round match, but due to the withdrawal of Latvia's Anastasija Sevastova …
Read more on Bleacher Report

Sharapova Serve
Maria Sharapova

Image by fi_chince

Little-known tennis player Greta Arn, who knocked top seed Maria Sharapova out of the ASB Classic, will play the… http://bit.ly/hb0K2Mby rnz_news (RNZ News)

Maria Sharapova out,
Wickmayer advances http://bit.ly/dJ2oaoby todayszamancom (Todays Zaman)

vídeo — Maria Sharapova al termino en Auckland http://t.co/0ZrQ4au vía @youtubeby CarlosScheel (carlos scheel)

Maria Sharapova Trivia!
If so, I think she is compromising the integrety of the sport.
If tennis is only a stepstone for further money outside the sport, I thnik it is sad.
NB. I`m the biggest fan of her, and have followed her from 2002!

Answer by Ⱥɳα ɱɐⱤí₳
well she’s been doing that for a while really. the ads, the clothes, the modeling… I think this is why all the other Russian players don’t like her (and because she’s too ‘American’). I even remember Kudryavtsiva (sp?) saying she was motivated to beat her because she didn’t like her outfit (and seriously they are getting more and more ridiculous). It’s her life and therefore her choice, but I can’t respect a player like that.

EDIT
like I said it’s up to her to set her priorities and no one has the right to criticize whatever choice she makes. But I hold professional integrity very highly. She gets more money, so? she put her tennis career in the background to chase stardom and she’s becoming a ‘model’ who only aspires to make as much money as she can as fast as possible. If she wanted financial security then she has all the doors open to pick whatever she wants but she choose the easiest most glamorous way possible and I can’t help but think it’s what she wanted all along. She reminds me too much of David Beckham and while I don’t dislike either of them, I don’t respect them as athletes who only used sport as a steppingstone.

EDIT
yeah I meant they used sport as a way to get the fame and glamour that the US offers which is what they were after in the first place. Sport was just the tool that got them this lifstyle.

EDIT
I think we’ll have to agree to disagree. Some athletes think about how to make as much money as possible, while others have more repect toward the sports they practice and put them first.
Sharapova always talked about wanting to retire early so it wasn’t something she thought of in response her injuried, she planned this ahead. Like I said it’s her own life and her own choices, but I love tennis (and football) more than I love the players, so I hate it when someone uses sports to get to what they believe are a better things.

No comments:

Post a Comment