Monday, January 24, 2011

Australian soldier awarded Victoria Cross

Australian soldier awarded Victoria Cross
An Australian commando who stormed two Taliban machine gun positions and killed their gunners has been awarded the Victoria Cross.
Read more on ITN via Yahoo! UK & Ireland News

105/365: 1986-1987
Julia Roberts

Image by bloody marty mix
Monday, 08 September 2008.

40 Years in 40 Days [ view the entire set ]
An examination and remembrance of a life at 40.

For the 40 days leading up to my 40th birthday, I intend to use my 365 Days project to document and remember my life and lay bare what defines me. 40 years, 40 qualities, 40 days.

Year 19: 1986-1987

Spring quarter freshman year, I did another one of those things that would later cause people to re-evaluate what they thought they knew about me. I pledged a sorority. In my defense, it was a bit of a nerdy house, and I was on a campus that was (at the time) over 50% greek. It was just something you did. Not being much on the idea of girlfriends, I never did get very chummy with anyone in the house, but my involvement there was a lifeline for me. It gave me a stable address for the entirety of my time at Northwestern. It also gave me meals when I was so broke I was living off the change I picked up on the sidewalk. They filled me in on some secret stuff (all good), handed me some red and yellow roses, and then took me in. So, really, and perhaps shockingly, I have nothing bad to say about it.

Freshman year was also the year I met Mark, one of my best, and now lifelong, friends. In the mid-80′s, the Chicago Transit Authority had its head up its ass (apparently), and decided it would be OK to let a bunch of Northwestern undergrads "charter" a train for a moving party. For , you got a ticket to board a train that would run around the Loop for hours. Each car had its own grain alcohol punch bar. There are no bathrooms on el trains, so they made one stop about halfway through the night, releasing a trainload of drunk students at the Wilson stop, and then leaving some 15 minutes later, presumably operating under the assumption that if you got into Northwestern, you were smart enough to know to get your ass back on the train ASAP or you’d get left behind. Now, if you’re from Chicago, you know the Wilson el stop, so you know how boggled your mind should be that someone let any of this happen. But, anyway, it did, and as I was standing on one of the seats, gently swaying from the pole next to me, I spotted someone I thought was a guy I’d met briefly a couple weeks before. Feeling no pain or inhibition, I leaned over and kissed him. I attributed his startled (but not unwelcoming) expression to the suddenness of the kiss. Alas, that was only half of it. He just had no idea who I was. I spent the rest of the evening hanging out with him and I didn’t figure it out he wasn’t who I thought he was until the next day. So, yes, I met my best friend in college by kissing him because I thought he was someone else. There’s a Julia Roberts movie in there somewhere, no doubt.

After freshman year, I went home for the summer and got a temporary job working in the admissions office of the local community college. It bored me to tears, and I decided I wouldn’t be coming home for the summers anymore. Toward the end of the season, my family took a vacation to California to visit friends and family that we’d left behind there. I got to see my biological father briefly, for the first time since I was 12, when we’d made a similarly brief visit.

In the fall, when it was time to return to Northwestern, I left home for the last time. Thereafter, it was my parents’ house. Home was in Chicago.

Who am I?

I am rural and urban.

I keep telling people that there are two things I’m going to do when I win the lottery:

1. Go back to school to get as many degrees as I feel like getting, and
2. Get a loft in Chicago, and a cabin out in the woods somewhere.

I can’t shake either environment. They’re both in my blood. When I am in one, I miss the other. When I am in Chicago, I miss the hundreds of tiny lakes, hidden in the trees, accessible by trails you’d only know about if you grew up sneaking around out there with contraband wine coolers and Southern Comfort (not a good combination, FYI). When I am in the middle of nowhere, I miss the pulsing heartbeat of the city, the lights turning and moving, the twinkling planes criss-crossing the sky. Right now, living in Kentucky, my whole body aches for Chicago. I see a picture of rusted girders under the el tracks, and I start to tear up. It is a hulking, bent, and dirty place, alive with fire and beautiful.

[ view previous | view next ]

IMG_9856
Julia Roberts

Image by Chris Totsky

more info here: http://www.erikemery.com/2008/10/lights-camera-washington.html
Julia Roberts

Image by elizastan
julia roberts’s brother stars (i think) in this film that is currently being shot outside our apartment. that guy above was laying there for hours and hours shining a light on the post office. at night (and for the rest of the week) the lights moved to the other side of the building (see next pic).

Anda,Julia Roberts n Friends(fdf) – by _xavieret_ (JohnBoy)

Julia Roberts: Jessica Alba models her dress on the red …: Jessica Alba models her coiffe on the flushed carpet
http://bit.ly/h8wKj2by tvspielfilm_akt (tvspielfilm_aktuell)

My real hair #color is kind of a dark blonde. Now I just have mood hair.
Julia Robertsby rdenker (r.d.)

Julia Roberts Trivia!
Does that mean she will have to burn herself alive along with her husband after he dies ?
Or abort her unborn girl child ?

Answer by Gail M
Suttee has been banned from the Hindu religion for decades now. Therefore, no, she will not.

No comments:

Post a Comment